This is a basic Risotto base only. The Risotto base can be made with pantry staples. It will need to have the main flavours added. Remember, it’s all about using what we have on hand in the fridge.
- 1.5 cups of Arborio Rice
- 1 litre of Premade Stock
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 clove of Garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup of White Wine (see note)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Place stock into a small saucepan and heat on the stove over low heat. This is just to keep stock warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat and cook onion, stirring until soft and translucent. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add dry rice to the pan and stir to coat with the oil and until rice looks shiny. Approx. 1 minute.
- Add white wine and allow excess liquid to evaporate from the pan.
- Add one laddleful of stock to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Once liquid is absorbed, continue with the next laddleful of stock. Continue until all stock is used. YES, this is time consuming!
- Fold through cooked meat and vegetables. For added creaminess fold through grated Parmesan Cheese and butter before serving. Season with Salt & Pepper.
Flavour ideas (but definately not limited to)
- Roast Chicken and Capsicum
- Mushroom & Thyme
- Roast Pumpkin and Pea
- Mushroom and Spinach
- Chicken and Chorizo
If meat and vegetables are raw, add in after Step 3. If meat and vegetables are cooked, fold through at Step 7.
NOTE: I love the flavour wine adds to a meal. However, I use the cheapest cleanskin wine I can for cooking. I pour the wine into an ice cube tray and freeze for future use. Pop out a cube and two without wastage.