Whilst this is not a traditional Kimchi it is easy to make at home and extremely tasty. We use this as a salad topping on our Pork Rolls. The vegetables stay crisp whilst the vinegar and sugar extend the fridge life. Great as a side or thrown into sandwiches and rolls.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsps White Sugar
- Heavy pinch of Salt
- Various sliced vegetables (Carrot, Cucumber, Red Onion, Cabbage, Bean Sprouts, Snow Peas)
- Mix vinegar, salt and sugar together.
- Cut cucumber lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Finely cut or julienne carrot and cucumber into small batons.
- Finely slice onion, cabbage and snow peas (if using).
- Place into a large bowl, add bean sprouts and toss to mix together.
- Mix through vinegar mixture and leave to marinate for 20 minutes before using.
NOTE: This recipe works well with a minimum of carrot, cucumber and red onion. The other ingredients above work well but aren’t essential – remember it’s all about using what we have on hand!!! Keep Kimchi in a sealed container in the fridge for a week plus. Drain off excess liquid before using.