This is a really nice icecream to make at home. It has a fantastic texture and can be made without the use of an icecream machine. You can be creative by adding various flavours to create something unique. Try adding broken chocolate bars, coffee, nuts, fruit puree or chunks and lollies. Create your own Cold Rock at home.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 150gm white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or paste
- 3gm powdered gelatine
- 2 tsp water
- 500ml Thickened Cream
- Whisk eggs, yolks, vanilla and sugar until pale, thick and ribbons begin to form.
- Place gelatine and water into a small bowl and microwave for 5 seconds. This will melt the gelatine. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whip cream to soft peak.
- Prepare any flavourings/additives.
- Fold through cream, gelatine and additives into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Place into mould, lined with cling wrap.
- Freeze overnight or until firm.
NOTE: Resist the urge to add extra sugar. Sweet flavours will intensify once frozen. If using Leaf Gelatine, use 1 leaf and soften in cold water, wring out excess water and warm to melt before adding to the mixture.
For my Toblerone Icecream, I omitted the vanilla, added 100gm of melted chocolate and Tolblerone chunks.